Department of Management and Information Systems
- In person
- Kent Campus
The Human Resource Management minor focuses on the competitive advantage derived from the more effective use of human resource management policies, practices and procedures. The minor is relevant to a variety of students who want to learn to better manage a company’s human resources in many positions after graduation, including line managers who need to implement human resource policies as they hire and manage the performance of their employees; entrepreneurs who need a fundamental knowledge of human resources management to run their companies more effectively; and members of not-for-profit organizations who need to understand the basics because they rarely are able to hire human resources staff.
The Human Resource Management minor covers a range of topic areas taught from both theoretical and applied perspectives. Students are exposed to a wide array of human resource functional areas, including staffing, performance management, training, compensation, human resource information systems and employer-employee rights and responsibilities.
Admission to a minor is open to students declared in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students declared only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
To declare the Human Resources minor, students must have a minimum 2.000 overall Kent State University GPA. No Kent State University GPA is required if the student is a first-semester freshman or transfer student admitted in good standing.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Demonstrate effective human resource management and leadership ability when presented with a human resource-related dilemma or opportunity.
- Create and communicate value for all stakeholders in the organization.
- Demonstrate understanding of legal issues related to human resource management.
|HRM 34180||HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT||3|
|MGMT 24163||PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT||3|
|MGMT 34165||DYNAMICS OF LEADERSHIP||3|
|or MGMT 34175||LEARNING TO LEAD|
|or MGMT 34185||INDIVIDUAL AND GROUP BEHAVIOR IN ORGANIZATIONS|
|Minor Electives, choose from the following:||9|
|SEMINAR IN HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT|
|DEVELOPING AND TRAINING HUMAN RESOURCES IN ORGANIZATIONS|
|STAFFING HUMAN RESOURCES|
|HUMAN RESOURCE BUSINESS CONSULTING AND PROJECTS (ELR)|
|PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT AND COMPENSATION SYSTEMS|
|HUMAN RESOURCE ANALYTICS AND ERP SYSTEMS|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||18|
|Minimum Minor GPA||Minimum Overall GPA|
- Students should plan on four semesters to complete this minor due to sequencing and availability of courses.
- Students may not pursue a minor and major in the same discipline.
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be upper-division coursework (30000 and 40000 level).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be outside of the course requirements for any major or other minor the student is pursuing.
- Minimum 50 percent of the total credit hours for the minor must be taken at Kent State (in residence).