Finance - Minor
Department of Finance
404 Business Administration Building
The Finance minor allows students to gain some familiarity with financial management, as well as with the financial system of institutions and markets in which firms must operate. Some knowledge of finance is necessary to understand and work in most businesses and organizations. Profits and value creation are the “bottom lines” to which companies direct their efforts. Some acquaintance with investment techniques may help students in managing their personal finances.
The Finance minor is particularly useful for business students in other majors who take the requisite courses, and for other students who desire to acquire some understanding of finance without having to take all the core business school requisites. Both groups are exposed to important fundamentals, yet they also will have the flexibility to consider several areas of finance.
Fully Offered At:
- Kent Campus
Admission to a minor is open to students declared in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students declared only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
To declare the Finance minor, students must have a minimum 2.500 overall Kent State University GPA. No Kent State University GPA is required if the student is a first-semester freshman or transfer student admitted in good standing.
|ACCT 23020||INTRODUCTION TO FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING||3|
|ECON 22060||PRINCIPLES OF MICROECONOMICS (KSS)||3|
|ECON 22061||PRINCIPLES OF MACROECONOMICS (KSS)||3|
|FIN 26085||INTRODUCTION TO FINANCIAL MODELING (min C grade)||1|
|FIN 36053||BUSINESS FINANCE (min C grade)||3|
|FIN 36054||INTERMEDIATE CORPORATE FINANCE||3|
|or FIN 36059||INTERMEDIATE INVESTMENTS|
|Minor Electives, choose from the following:||9|
|THE FINANCIAL SYSTEM|
|INTERMEDIATE CORPORATE FINANCE|
|PRINCIPLES OF REAL ESTATE|
|PRINCIPLES OF INSURANCE|
|ADVANCED FINANCIAL MODELING|
|FINANCIAL RISK MANAGEMENT|
|ADVANCED DERIVATIVE SECURITIES|
|INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS FINANCE|
|ADVANCED PORTFOLIO ANALYSIS|
|COMMERCIAL BANK MANAGEMENT|
|INTERNATIONAL FINANCE EXPERIENCE|
|INTERNSHIP IN FINANCE (ELR)|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||25|
- Minimum 2.500 overall GPA
- Minimum C grade in FIN 36053.
|Minimum Minor GPA|
- A minimum C grade may be required in some courses.
- In computing the minor GPA, all attempts of 30000 and 40000 level courses are included in the calculation. Only the highest grade for all attempts in the 20000 level courses required in this minor are used for the calculation of the minor GPA.
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be upper-division coursework (30000 and 40000 level).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be outside of the course requirements for any major or other minor the student is pursuing.
- Minimum 50 percent of the total credit hours for the minor must be taken at Kent State (in residence).