Computer Information Systems - Minor
Department of Management and Information Systems
A432 Business Administration Building
The Computer Information Systems minor is self-contained and assumes essentially no prior experience with computers or information systems. It complements students’ primary career field by providing knowledge and hands-on experience with computer technology. Students are able to design and build computer information systems of modest size and to participate with professional analysts, on an effective partnership basis, in the construction of large complex systems. Students also have the ability to aid their co-workers by performing computer system support in consultative and advisory roles.
Fully Offered At:
- Kent Campus
Admission to a minor is open to students declared in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students declared only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
To declare the Computer Information Systems minor, students must have a minimum 2.500 overall Kent State University GPA. No Kent State University GPA is required if the student is a first-semester freshman or transfer student admitted in good standing.
|MIS 24053||INTRODUCTION TO COMPUTER APPLICATIONS (min C grade) 1||3|
|MIS 24065||WEB PROGRAMMING (min C grade)||3|
|MIS 34068||SYSTEMS ANALYSIS AND DESIGN||3|
|MIS 44043||DATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS||3|
|Minor Electives, choose from the following: 2||6|
|ENTERPRISE SYSTEMS AND BUSINESS PROCESSES|
|PROGRAMMING THEORY AND APPLICATIONS|
|NETWORK THEORY AND APPLICATIONS|
|INFORMATION SYSTEMS MANAGEMENT|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||18|
Students may use another course as a minor elective with permission of a faculty advisor.
|Minimum Minor GPA|
- Students are expected to satisfy course prerequisites for each course required in the minor. Prerequisites are not tied to a particular catalog; therefore it is important to look at the most current information about a course.
- Students may not pursue a minor and major in the same discipline.
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be upper-division coursework (30000 and 40000 level).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be outside of the course requirements for any major or other minor the student is pursuing.
- Minimum 50 percent of the total credit hours for the minor must be taken at Kent State (in residence).