Computer Information Systems - Minor
Department of Management and Information Systems
A432 Business Administration Building
The Computer Information Systems minor is self-contained and assumes essentially no prior experience with computers or information systems. It complements students’ primary career field by providing knowledge and hands-on experience with computer technology. Students are able to design and build computer information systems of modest size and to participate with professional analysts, on an effective partnership basis, in the construction of large complex systems. Students also have the ability to aid their co-workers by performing computer system support in consultative and advisory roles.
Fully Offered At:
- Kent Campus
Admission to a minor is open to students enrolled in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students enrolled only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
- Minimum 2.500 overall Kent State GPA; or if new freshman, no established GPA is required
|MIS 24053||INTRODUCTION TO COMPUTER APPLICATIONS (min C grade) 1||3|
|MIS 24065||WEB PROGRAMMING (min C grade)||3|
|MIS 34068||SYSTEMS ANALYSIS AND DESIGN||3|
|MIS 44043||DATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS||3|
|Electives, choose from the following:||6|
|ENTERPRISE SYSTEMS AND BUSINESS PROCESSES|
|PROGRAMMING THEORY AND APPLICATIONS|
|NETWORK THEORY AND APPLICATIONS|
|INFORMATION SYSTEMS MANAGEMENT|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||18|
- Minimum 2.500 overall GPA; or if new freshman, no established GPA is required
- Minimum C grade in MIS 24053 and MIS 24065
|Minimum Minor GPA|
- Students are expected to satisfy prerequisites for courses in the minor. Prerequisites are not tied to a particular catalog therefore it is important to look at the most current information about a course.
- Students may use non-CIS courses as minor electives with permission of a faculty advisor.
- To earn a College of Business Administration minor, students must complete at least 50 percent of the total required credit hours for the minor at Kent State University, at least 6 credit hours in the minor must be at the upper division (30000 and 40000 level), and at least 6 credit hours in the minor must be different from courses in the student's major and minor(s). Students may not pursue a minor and major in the same discipline.