International Business for Business Majors - Minor
Department of Management and Information Systems
A432 Business Administration Building
The International Business minor introduces students to cultural issues of a broad, global nature. Students are encouraged to participate in study-abroad programs to complement their studies. Global business is fast becoming an important part of the U.S. economy. The world that college graduates are facing will essentially be a borderless world. This suggests a need to be trained for employment that will have international implications. Whether students take a major in business, fashion design and merchandising, the hard sciences, English or education, some training in global outreach, cultural diversity and "business cultures" will be necessary.
Fully Offered At:
- Kent Campus
Admission to a minor is open to students enrolled in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students enrolled only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
- Minimum 2.500 overall GPA; or if new freshman, no established GPA is required.
|BUS 30234||INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS||3|
|ECON 42075||INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC RELATIONS||3|
|or FIN 46064||INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS FINANCE|
|or MKTG 45060||INTERNATIONAL MARKETING|
|Global Business Experience (study abroad, internship abroad, global internship) 1||3|
For study abroad, choose from the following:
|INTERNATIONAL ACCOUNTING EXPERIENCE|
|INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS EXPERIENCE|
|INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC EXPERIENCE|
|INTERNATIONAL FINANCE EXPERIENCE|
|INTERNATIONAL EMERGING ENTERPRISES AND MARKETS|
|INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE IN MARKETING|
|Language Requirement, choose from the following:||3-11|
Three courses from a single foreign language
Two courses in two foreign languages
Interagency Language Roundtable (ILR) Level One competency 2
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||12-20|
Student who have completed at least one business course while studying abroad and also completed other courses abroad for their program should discuss another alternative to meet this requirement with the college's director of international programs.
As determined by an international business faculty advisor in consultation with the appropriate language faculty member. Generally this proficiency can be achieved by completion of the Intermediate I level of a foreign language. If the student has achieved foreign language competency without earning credit hours, then the student must choose from the following:
|Minimum Minor GPA|
- To earn a College of Business Administration minor, students must complete at least 50 percent of the total required credit hours for the minor at Kent State University, at least 6 credit hours in the minor must be at the upper division (30000 and 40000 level), and at least 6 credit hours in the minor must be different from courses in the student's major and minor(s). Students may not pursue a minor and major in the same discipline.
- Students with an interest in this minor are encouraged to take as their Kent Core Social Sciences at least one of the following courses: GEOG 17063, POL 10004 and/or POL 10500.
- Satisfaction of all courses prerequisites is required.
- In computing the minor GPA, all attempts of 30000- and 40000-level courses are included in the calculation.