Health Education and Promotion - M.Ed.
School of Health Sciences
100 Nixson Hall
The Master of Education degree in Health Education and Promotion is designed to enable individuals to pursue their diverse interests in the field while addressing the competencies essential to the professional development of health educators
Students in the program utilize theoretical models of attitude and behavioral change in assessing educational needs, designing educational interventions, evaluating the effectiveness of program efforts, and advocating for creative and competent health education opportunities. These skills prepare graduates for various employment positions in local, state and national government; K-12 schools and community colleges; health care facilities; worksite wellness programs; and nonprofit organizations.
Students are encouraged to pursue certification: Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) or Master Certified Health Education (MCHES).
The Health Education and Promotion major comprises the following concentrations:
- The Community Health concentration provides background for those who will be involved in positions of leadership in a wide variety of health-related community settings, as well as for those who plan to pursue doctoral work in fields related to health education and health promotion.
- The School Health Licensure concentration enables graduates to teach health in schools or pursue diverse interests in the field. Competencies essential to school health education are addressed.
Fully Offered At:
- Kent Campus
National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university for unconditional admission
- Minimum 3.000 undergraduate GPA on a 4.000 point scale for unconditional admission
- Official transcript(s)
- Current Ohio teaching license (required for School Health Licensure concentration only)
- Goal statement
- Two letters of recommendation
- English language proficiency - all international students must provide proof of English language proficiency (unless they meet specific exceptions) by earning one of the following:
- Minimum 550 TOEFL PBT score (paper-based version)
- Minimum 79 TOEFL IBT score (Internet-based version)
- Minimum 77 MELAB score
- Minimum 79 IELTS score
- Minimum 58 PTE score
For more information about graduate admissions, please visit the Graduate Studies admission website. For more information on international admission, visit the Office of Global Education’s admission website.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Assess needs, assets and capacity for health education.
- Plan health education and promotion activities.
- Implement health education and promotion programs.
- Conduct program evaluation and research in health education.
- Serve as health education resource person.
- Administer and manage health education.
- Communicate and advocate for health and health education.
|HED 64050||HEALTH BEHAVIOR||3|
|HED 64055||NEEDS ASSESSMENT AND EVALUATION IN HEALTH PROMOTION||3|
|HED 64057||PROGRAM PLANNING AND IMPLEMENTATION IN HEALTH PROMOTION||3|
|HED 64059||COMMUNICATION AND MARKETING IN HEALTH EDUCATION AND PROMOTION||3|
|HED 64061||FOUNDATIONS OF HEALTH EDUCATION AND PROMOTION||3|
|HED 64063||STRATEGIES IN HEALTH EDUCATION AND PROMOTION 1||3|
|Choose from the following:||15|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||33|
HED 64063 will complete the student teaching requirement. State or Federal background checks may be required for practicum/internship experiences.
|HED 64030||INTRODUCTION TO RESEARCH AND DATA ANALYSIS IN HEALTH EDUCATION AND PROMOTION||3|
|HED 64062||ADMINISTRATION AND GRANT WRITING IN HEALTH PROMOTION||3|
|HED 64080||ADVOCACY AND POLICY ISSUES IN HEALTH EDUCATION AND PROMOTION||3|
|Health Education Electives (HED 50000 or 60000 level) 1||6|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||15|
Students are recommended to select courses around a common theme, such as sexuality, substance abuse or other options approved by advisor. Students who plan to pursue a doctorate are recommended to take courses in research and statistics.
|HED 54543||ADMINISTRATION OF SCHOOL HEALTH PROGRAMS||3|
|HED 54544||SEXUALITY EDUCATION PROGRAMS||3|
|HED 54550||DRUG ABUSE AND VIOLENCE EDUCATION PROGRAMS||3|
|HED 54051||BIOBEHAVIORAL ASPECTS OF DISEASE PREVENTION IN HEALTH EDUCATION AND PROMOTION||3|
|HED 64058||DEVELOPMENTAL APPROACHES IN TEACHING SCHOOL HEALTH EDUCATION 1||3|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||15|
HED 64058 will complete the student teaching requirement. State or Federal background checks may be required for practicum/internship experiences.
Candidates seeking Ohio licensure are required to pass specific assessments in order to apply for licensure. Students should consult their advisors for specific program requirements and refer to the Ohio Department of Education-Educator Preparation website for more information on assessments specific to licensure type.
M.Ed. degree candidates have six years from the term of first enrollment to complete the degree.