Department of Management and Information Systems
- In person
- Kent Campus
The Computer Information Systems minor is self-contained and assumes essentially no prior experience with computers or information systems. It complements students’ primary career field by providing knowledge and hands-on experience in cloud computing systems and infrastructure, business modeling and agile design, data management and business intelligence and other computer technologies. Students are able to design and build computer information systems of modest size and to participate with professional analysts, on an effective partnership basis, in the construction of large cloud systems. Students also have the ability to aid their co-workers by performing computer system support in consultative and advisory roles.
Admission to a minor is open to students declared in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students declared only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
To declare the Computer Information Systems minor, students must have a minimum 2.250 overall Kent State University GPA. No Kent State University GPA is required if the student is a first-semester freshman or transfer student admitted in good standing.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Be an effective IT project team member and contributor.
- Understand what the "cloud" is, and how it is changing computing in both positive and negative ways today.
- Understand key benefits and limitations of various technologies in the cloud computing.
- Create database driven interactive websites in the cloud platform.
- Understand basic concepts of the systems development life cycle (SDLC).
|CIS 24053||INTRODUCTION TO COMPUTER APPLICATIONS (min C+ grade) 1||3|
|CIS 24165||CLOUD SYSTEMS COMPUTING||3|
|CIS 24167||CLOUD INFRASTRUCTURE AND APPLICATIONS||3|
|CIS 34034||BUSINESS MODELING AND AGILE DESIGN||3|
|CIS 44040||PROGRAMMING FOR THE CLOUD||3|
|Minor Elective, choose from the following: 2||3|
|ENTERPRISE SYSTEMS AND BUSINESS PROCESSES|
|APPLICATION DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT|
|DATA MANAGEMENT AND BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE II|
|WORKSHOP IN PROFESSIONAL INFORMATION SYSTEMS CERTIFICATION|
|SPECIAL TOPICS IN INFORMATION SYSTEMS|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||18|
Students may use another course as a minor elective with permission of a faculty advisor.
- Minimum 2.250 overall GPA
- Minimum C+ grade in CIS 24053
|Minimum Minor GPA||Minimum Overall GPA|
- Students are expected to satisfy course prerequisites for each course required in the minor. Prerequisites are not tied to a particular catalog; therefore it is important to look at the most current information about a course.
- Students may not pursue a minor and major in the same discipline.
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be upper-division coursework (30000 and 40000 level).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be outside of the course requirements for any major or other minor the student is pursuing.
- Minimum 50 percent of the total credit hours for the minor must be taken at Kent State (in residence).