Music - Minor
School of Music
E101 Center for the Performing Arts
The Music minor provides a basic understanding of music literature, theory and performance. Study on voice or selected instruments is available to students in other fields who desire private instruction in addition to ensemble participation.
Fully Offered At:
- Kent Campus
- Stark Campus
Admission to a minor is open to students declared in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students declared only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
To declare the Music minor, students must complete theory placement test and audition in piano, voice or on a traditional orchestral/band instrument.
|Minor Requirements (min C grade required in all courses)|
|MUS 11121||THEORY I||4|
|MUS 11122||THEORY II||4|
|MUS 22111||THE UNDERSTANDING OF MUSIC (KFA) (music major section)||3|
|Applied Music 36000-level courses (repeated for 2 semesters)||4|
|Music Major Ensemble Electives (repeated for 2 semesters) 1||2|
|Music (MUS) Electives (number of elective credit hours depends on meeting minimum 21 total credit hours) 2||0-2|
|Minor Electives, choose from the following:||2-4|
|SINGER'S DICTION I|
|SINGER'S DICTION II|
|MUSIC AS A WORLD PHENOMENON (DIVG) (KFA)|
|MUSIC HISTORY I|
|MUSIC HISTORY II (WIC)|
|AFRICAN MUSIC AND CULTURES|
|HISTORY OF JAZZ (DIVD)|
|ROOTS OF ROCK|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||21|
Music electives may include additional applied music, major or chamber ensembles or any other music courses for which the students have fulfilled the prerequisite.
|Minimum Minor GPA|
- Minimum C grade is required in all courses for the minor.
- Transfer students must complete a minimum of 11 credit hours in music courses at Kent State University, including one semester of applied music and one semester of a major ensemble.
- MUS 11110 , MUS 11111, MUS 16914 and MUS 16915 will not count as credit for graduation in this program.
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be upper-division coursework (30000 and 40000 level).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be outside of the course requirements for any major or other minor the student is pursuing.
- Minimum 50 percent of the total credit hours for the minor must be taken at Kent State (in residence).