- Kent Campus
The Dance minor provides students with an understanding of dance through its contemporary applications.
Students are eligible to begin in level 1 dance courses without auditioning. Students may audition for higher-level placement.
Admission to a minor is open to students declared in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students declared only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Students will articulate and communicate knowledge regarding the physiological and kinesthetic articulations within Dance.
- Students will articulate and communicate an understanding of Dance aesthetics and the elements of dance utilized in the craft of choreography.
- Students will be able to perform positions and movement phrases in one or more Dance genres.
- Students will articulate appropriate dance terminology and vocabulary.
|DAN 17053||PRINCIPLES OF DANCE MECHANICS I||2|
|DAN 27074||DANCE COMPOSITION I||3|
|Dance (DAN) Techniques Lower Division Electives, choose from the following: 1||9|
|MODERN DANCE 2|
|AFRICAN DANCE 1|
|SWING DANCE 1|
|HIP HOP 1|
|HIP HOP 2|
|FUNDAMENTALS OF DANCE AND MOVEMENT|
|JAZZ STYLES I|
|JAZZ STYLES II|
|Dance (DAN) Upper-Division Electives, choose from the following: 1||6|
|DANCE COMPOSITION II|
|PRINCIPLES OF DANCE MECHANICS II|
|DANCE FOR CHILDREN|
|METHODS AND MATERIALS OF DANCE|
|DANCE COMPOSITION III|
|DANCE AND TECHNOLOGY|
|DANCE PRACTICUM (ELR) 2|
|PROFESSIONAL ASPECTS IN DANCE|
|DANCE HISTORY I|
|JAZZ STYLES III|
|SPECIAL TOPICS IN DANCE|
|DANCE HISTORY II (WIC)|
|JAZZ STYLES IV|
|INDIVIDUAL INVESTIGATION IN DANCE|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||20|
Any physical practice courses may be repeated towards minor requirements. Students must receive permission for placement into the course levels beyond 1.
An additional concert audition may be required for DAN 37192.
|Minimum Minor GPA||Minimum Overall GPA|
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be upper-division coursework (30000 and 40000 level).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be outside of the course requirements for any major or other minor the student is pursuing.
- Minimum 50 percent of the total credit hours for the minor must be taken at Kent State (in residence).