- Program Coordinator: Mwatabu S. Okantah | firstname.lastname@example.org | 330-672-2300 or 330-672-0142
- Speak with an Advisor
- Kent Campus
The African Studies minor provides a broad familiarity with African history, culture and contemporary problems. Study in this program may be coordinated with relevant language study through Pan-African Studies.
Admission to a minor is open to students declared in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students declared only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
|Minor Electives, choose from the following:||18|
|ELEMENTARY KISWAHILI I|
|ELEMENTARY KISWAHILI II|
|INTRODUCTION TO WEST AFRICAN CULTURES|
|INTRODUCTION TO THE AFRICAN ARTS|
|EAST AFRICAN-KISWAHILI CULTURES|
|AFRICAN LITERATURES (DIVG)|
|ANCIENT AFRICAN CIVILIZATIONS|
|INTRODUCTION TO AFRICAN WORLD VIEW (DIVG)|
|ISLAMIC WEST AFRICA|
|AFRICAN SOCIAL AND POLITICAL SYSTEMS|
|THE MODEL AFRICAN UNION (ELR)|
|AFRICANA WOMEN’S LITERATURE (DIVG)|
|SPECIAL TOPICS IN CONTEMPORARY AFRICA|
|RELIGION: A SEARCH FOR A MEANING|
|KINSHIP AND SOCIAL ORGANIZATION (DIVG)|
|ELEMENTARY ARABIC I|
|ELEMENTARY ARABIC II|
|ART OF AFRICA, OCEANIA AND THE AMERICAS (DIVG) (KFA)|
|ART OF WEST AFRICA (DIVG)|
|ART OF NIGERIA (DIVG)|
|ART OF CENTRAL AFRICA (DIVG)|
|INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC RELATIONS|
|POPULATION AND THE ENVIRONMENT|
|GEOGRAPHY OF AFRICA (DIVG)|
|CONSERVATION OF NATURAL RESOURCES|
|GEOGRAPHIES OF GLOBAL DEVELOPMENT|
|HISTORY OF PRE-COLONIAL AFRICA TO 1880|
|HISTORY OF COLONIAL AFRICA, 1880-1994|
|FOREIGN LANGUAGES AND CULTURE STUDIES|
|AFRICAN MUSIC AND CULTURES|
|AFRICAN POLITICS (DIVG)|
|POLITICS OF WAR|
|HUMAN RIGHTS AND SOCIAL JUSTICE (DIVG)|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||18|
|Minimum Minor GPA||Minimum Overall GPA|
- Students must complete at least two upper-division (30000 or 40000 level) courses in the minor at Kent State on a graded basis (A-F).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be upper-division coursework (30000 and 40000 level).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be outside of the course requirements for any major or other minor the student is pursuing.
- Minimum 50 percent of the total credit hours for the minor must be taken at Kent State (in residence).