Knowledge Management - M.S.
School of Information
314 University Library
The Master of Science degree in Knowledge Management prepares professionals to serve as leaders in all types of organizations who can assess and evaluate organizations on knowledge management principles, including culture, learning, communities and maturity. Graduates will be able to build strategy for effective knowledge management for organizations.
The skills and tools required to manage a knowledge organization build upon, but are different from, those required to manage an industrial-era organization. These new skills and tools are found in the emerging domain of knowledge management. Knowledge management organizations of all types, in all sectors of the economy, face a growing need for knowledge management professionals. In fact, knowledge organizations are created and sustained by knowledge management professionals working side-by-side with corporate executives, business and subject matter experts. A knowledge organization works smarter at the organizational, the community and the individual level because knowledge management professionals envision and strategically manage the organization's knowledge, design knowledge architectures and build technologies that enable the organization to work smarter, and facilitate knowledge management on a daily basis.
Students in the program learn principles, values, assessment and best practices from their instructors and fellow students, many of whom are also professionals working in knowledge management. Through courses and internships, students are provided real-world, practical experience.
Fully Offered At:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university for unconditional admission
- Minimum 3.000 undergraduate GPA on a 4.000 point scale for unconditional admission
- Official transcript(s)
- GRE scores if total GPA is below 3.0 in highest completed degree1
- Goal statement
- Three letters of recommendation
- English language proficiency - all international students must provide proof of English language proficiency (unless they meet specific exceptions) by earning one of the following:
- Minimum 587 TOEFL PBT score (paper-based version)
- Minimum 94 TOEFL IBT score (Internet-based version)
- Minimum 82 MELAB score
- Minimum 7.0 IELTS score
- Minimum 65 PTE score
In calculating total GPA, all grades from all courses taken at relevant level (bachelor's or master's) from all institutions are counted.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the program will be able to:
- Identify and apply principles of knowledge management in all types of organizations.
- Assess and evaluate organizations on knowledge management principles including, culture, learning, communities and maturity.
- Build a strategy for effective knowledge management for individual organizations.
|KM 60301||FOUNDATIONAL PRINCIPLES OF KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT||3|
|KM 60303||KNOWLEDGE ASSESSMENT AND EVALUATION||3|
|KM 60304||THE INFORMATION AND KNOWLEDGE ECONOMY||3|
|KM 60305||COMMUNITIES OF PRACTICE||3|
|KM 60307||ORGANIZATIONAL LEARNING||3|
|LIS 60636||KNOWLEDGE ORGANIZATION STRUCTURES, SYSTEMS AND SERVICES||3|
|Major Electives, choose from the following:||15|
|INTELLECTUAL CAPITAL MANAGEMENT|
|BUSINESS PROCESS MANAGEMENT|
|BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE-COMPETITIVE INTELLIGENCE|
|FOUNDATIONS OF DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT|
|ORGANIZATIONAL CULTURE ASSESSMENT|
|BUSINESS NARRATIVE AND STORYTELLING|
|SEMANTIC ANALYSIS METHODS AND TECHNOLOGIES|
|SEMINAR IN KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT|
|ELECTIVE INTERNSHIP IN KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT|
|SPECIAL TOPICS IN KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT|
|INDIVIDUAL INVESTIGATION IN KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT|
Health Informatics (HI) Courses 1
Knowledge Management (KM) Courses
Library and Information Science (LIS) Courses 1
User Experience Design (UXD) Courses 1
|Culminating Requirement, choose from the following:||3-6|
|MASTER'S INTERNSHIP IN KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT|
|MASTER'S PROJECT IN KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT|
|MASTER'S RESEARCH PAPER IN KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||36|
Students may take a maximum 6 credit hours of HI, LIS and/or UXD courses.