French - Minor
Department of Modern and Classical Language Studies
109 Satterfield Hall
The French minor gives students a sufficient command of the language, both written and spoken. Students are exposed to French literature and culture to be able to travel in France as more than just an interested and uninformed tourist.
Fully Offered At:
- Kent Campus
Admission to a minor is open to students declared in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students declared only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
|Prerequisite Requirements 1|
|ELEMENTARY FRENCH I|
|ELEMENTARY FRENCH II|
|INTERMEDIATE FRENCH I|
|INTERMEDIATE FRENCH II|
|FR 33211||FRENCH CONVERSATION||3|
|FR 33212||FRENCH COMPOSITION||3|
|FR 33214||FRENCH COMPOSITION EXTENDED||2|
|FR 33215||FRENCH PHONETICS AND DICTION||3|
|FR 33421||FRENCH CIVILIZATION||3|
|French Upper-Division Elective (FR 40000 level)||3|
|Minor Electives, choose from the following:||6|
|INTRODUCTION TO FRENCH THEATRE (ELR) (WIC)|
|INTRODUCTION TO FRENCH POETRY (ELR) (WIC)|
|INTRODUCTION TO FRENCH LITERARY PROSE (ELR) (WIC)|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||23|
Prerequisites may be satisfied with demonstrated language proficiency.
|Minimum Minor GPA|
- Students must complete at least two upper-division (30000 or 40000 level) courses in the minor at Kent State on a graded basis (A-F).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be upper-division coursework (30000 and 40000 level).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be outside of the course requirements for any major or other minor the student is pursuing.
- Minimum 50 percent of the total credit hours for the minor must be taken at Kent State (in residence).
- Some courses in the Department of Modern and Classical Language Studies are offered on a rotating basis, and course availability may change at any time. Visit the department's website for course offering projections and advising with course planning.