Japanese - Minor
Department of Modern and Classical Language Studies
109 Satterfield Hall
The Japanese minor provides a solid grounding in the Japanese language through challenging coursework in the four skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing. The curriculum allow students to explore different aspects of traditional and contemporary culture and society in Japan.
Fully Offered At:
- Kent Campus
Admission to a minor is open to students declared in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students declared only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
|Prerequisite Requirements 1|
|ELEMENTARY JAPANESE I|
|ELEMENTARY JAPANESE II|
|INTERMEDIATE JAPANESE I|
|INTERMEDIATE JAPANESE II|
|JAPN 35101||INTENSIVE JAPANESE GRAMMAR||3|
|JAPN 35325||READINGS IN MODERN JAPANESE||3|
|JAPN 35326||READINGS IN TRADITIONAL JAPANESE||3|
|JAPN 45211||WRITING IN JAPANESE||3|
|JAPN 45212||ORAL COMMUNICATION IN JAPANESE||3|
|Minor Electives, choose from the following:||6|
|THE ARTS OF JAPAN|
|GEOGRAPHY OF EAST AND SOUTHEAST ASIA (DIVG)|
|HISTORY OF JAPAN|
|VOICES FROM JAPAN|
|VARIABLE TOPIC SEMINAR IN JAPANESE|
|ASIAN POLITICS (DIVG)|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||21|
Prerequisites may be satisfied with demonstrated language proficiency.
|Minimum Minor GPA|
- Students must complete at least two upper-division (30000 or 40000 level) courses in the minor at Kent State on a graded basis (A-F).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be upper-division coursework (30000 and 40000 level).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be outside of the course requirements for any major or other minor the student is pursuing.
- Minimum 50 percent of the total credit hours for the minor must be taken at Kent State (in residence).
- Some courses in the Department of Modern and Classical Language Studies are offered on a rotating basis, and course availability may change at any time. Visit the department's website for course offering projections and advising with course planning.