School of Information
School of Visual Communication Design
- School of Information Director:
- School of Visual Communication Design Director:
- Speak with an Advisor
- Kent Campus
The User Experience Design minor provides students with comprehension and applicable skills that focus on a product's overall customer experience, ease of use, control and feedback. The minor's curriculum covers fundamentals, principles, strategies, software, industry standards and professional ethics in regards to user experience design, user interface design, prototyping, usability, technology, software and information architecture.
Admission to a minor is open to students declared in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students declared only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
To declare the User Experience Design minor, students must have a minimum 2.700 overall Kent State University GPA and have completed 15 earned credit hours.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Create a portfolio as a means to demonstrate competencies.
- Design and conduct research in a variety of ways necessary to understand users, stakeholders and competitors.
- Apply principles of Information Architecture and Content Strategy to web and mobile design problems.
- Create and evaluate structures to support information and content organization.
- Test and critique existing designs and prototypes by employing usability testing methods.
- Communicate design ideas in a variety of ways to design teams, stakeholders and developers.
|UXD 20001||INTRODUCTION TO USER EXPERIENCE DESIGN||3|
|VCD 21000||INTRODUCTION TO WEB DESIGN||3|
|VCD 34006||MOTION DESIGN||3|
|Minor Electives, choose from the following:||6|
|INTRODUCTION TO DESIGN INNOVATION|
|INTRODUCTION TO DESIGN RESEARCH|
|INTERACTION DESIGN I|
|RESPONSIVE WEB DESIGN|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||18|
|Minimum Minor GPA||Minimum Overall GPA|
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be upper-division coursework (30000 and 40000 level).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be outside of the course requirements for any major or other minor the student is pursuing.
- Minimum 50 percent of the total credit hours for the minor must be taken at Kent State (in residence).
- Personal laptop, preferably a MacBook Pro or a comparable PC that can handle video and animations.
- Subscription to Lynda.com (Kent State supplies a Lynda.com campus subscription with enrollment).
- Primary software Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, InDesign, XD, Muse and Edge Animate) and MS Office or Apple's iWork Suite for each class.
- Other software may include Tumult Hype, Sketch, InVision, Transmit (or another FTP client), Text Edit, Balsamiq, Axure or Omnigraffle.