- In person
- Kent Campus
The Public Relations minor offers an overview of public relations practice including writing, campaign planning, event planning, social media strategies, and publications design. Students often combine their interests in public relations with a major in Business, Fashion, Public Health, Sports, Theatre and other disciplines.
Admission to a minor is open to students declared in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students declared only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
To declare the Public Relations minor, students must have a minimum 2.000 overall Kent State University GPA. No Kent State University GPA is required if the student is a first-semester freshman or transfer student admitted in good standing.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Write in journalism style for print and digital media.
- Conduct research and develop a public relations plan to address communication challenges and support business and organizational goals.
- Apply public relations practice and communicate ethically.
- Implement public face-to-face public relations tactics, like event planning and persuasive presentations, and plan, write and design publications to inform, influence audiences and advocate for social issues, organizations and businesses.
- Use social media in a strategic way to position and promote businesses, social issues, organizations and individuals.
|COMM 21000||COMMUNICATION GRAMMAR REVIEW||1|
|EMAT 10310||MY STORY ON THE WEB||3|
|MDJ 20008||RESEARCH AND MEASUREMENT IN ADVERTISING AND PUBLIC RELATIONS||3|
|MDJ 21008||SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGIES||3|
|MDJ 26001||WRITING ACROSS PLATFORMS||3|
|MDJ 28001||PRINCIPLES OF PUBLIC RELATIONS||3|
|MDJ 38002||PUBLIC RELATIONS CASE STUDIES||3|
|MDJ 48002||PUBLIC RELATIONS TACTICS||3|
|or MDJ 48006||PUBLIC RELATIONS PUBLICATIONS|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||22|
|Minimum Minor GPA||Minimum Overall GPA|
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be upper-division coursework (30000 and 40000 level).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be outside of the course requirements for any major or other minor the student is pursuing.
- Minimum 50 percent of the total credit hours for the minor must be taken at Kent State (in residence).