College of Communication and Information
School of Visual Communication Designwww.kent.edu/vcd
About This Program
The Design minor complements a variety of majors, giving students a foundation in graphic design, including design research and history, graphic software, industry standards and professional ethics.
Admission to a minor is open to students declared in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students declared only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
To declare the Design minor, students must have a minimum 2.000 overall Kent State University GPA. No Kent State University GPA is required if the student is a first-semester freshman or transfer student admitted in good standing.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Students will learn how to evaluate and understand design process, artifacts and practice.
- Students will create and apply design principles, process and applications.
- Students will evaluate and analyze design artifacts.
- Students will learn to provide feedback and to assess design work from two levels; informative and functional capabilities, design aesthetic and principles.
- Students will understand the impact of ethical practices in design and reflect on design history.