- Program Coordinator: R. Neil Cooper | email@example.com | 330-672-8940
Karen Cunningham | firstname.lastname@example.org | 330-672-8943
- Speak with an Advisor
- In person
- Kent Campus
The Peace and Conflict Studies minor gives students a solid background in the theory and skills of managing conflicts in constructive, not destructive ways. Students learn how to apply skills that are not only useful in a variety of workplace settings, but in everyday life and relationships as well.
The minor especially is beneficial for students with a major or interest in business, communication studies, criminology and justice studies, nursing, public health, psychology, political science and sociology. However, because the skills taught are life skills, this minor matches up well with many majors.
Admission to a minor is open to students declared in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students declared only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
|PACS 11001||INTRODUCTION TO CONFLICT MANAGEMENT (DIVD) (KSS)||3|
|PACS 31002||GENDER, POWER AND CONFLICT||3|
|PACS 31003||NONVIOLENCE: THEORY AND PRACTICE||3|
|PACS 31010||CONFLICT THEORY||3|
|PACS 48080||MEDIATION: THEORY AND TRAINING||3|
|Minor Electives, choose from the following:||6|
|MAY 4 1970 AND ITS AFTERMATH|
|INTERNATIONAL CONFLICT RESOLUTION (DIVG)|
|CROSS-CULTURAL CONFLICT MANAGEMENT (DIVG)|
|CONFLICT IN THE WORKPLACE|
|ENVIRONMENTAL CONFLICT RESOLUTION|
|INTERNSHIP IN PEACE AND CONFLICT STUDIES (ELR) 1|
|SPECIAL TOPICS IN PEACE AND CONFLICT STUDIES|
|RECONCILIATION VERSUS REVENGE: TRANSITIONAL JUSTICE (DIVG) (WIC)|
|VARIABLE TITLE SEMINAR IN PEACE AND CONFLICT STUDIES|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||21|
Maximum 3 credit hours of PACS 35092 may count toward the Peace and Conflict Studies minor. Students may enroll in 1-9 additional hours which will then count towards upper-division credit hours.
|Minimum Minor GPA||Minimum Overall GPA|
- Students must complete at least two upper-division (30000 or 40000 level) courses in the minor at Kent State on a graded basis (A-F).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be upper-division coursework (30000 and 40000 level).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be outside of the course requirements for any major or other minor the student is pursuing.
- Minimum 50 percent of the total credit hours for the minor must be taken at Kent State (in residence).