School of Lifespan Development and Educational Sciences
- Program Coordinator: Mykal Leslie | firstname.lastname@example.org | 330-672-5798
- Chat with an Admissions Counselor
- In person
- Kent Campus
The Master of Education degree in Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling features an interdisciplinary approach that focuses on the inclusion of persons with disabilities into the life of the community. Graduates are employed in vocational rehabilitation settings, mental health and developmental disabilities agencies, drug and alcohol rehabilitation, public and private hospitals, comprehensive rehabilitation centers, correctional facilities, community-based programs, private industry, proprietary rehabilitation and student disability services in higher education.
The program requires two years of study, culminating in a semester-long internship under the field supervision of a certified clinical rehabilitation counselor. Faculty advise students in the development of a curriculum plan that includes required core, foundational and elective courses. Early and continued exposure to rehabilitation practice is provided as students progress through the program.
Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP)
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 2.750 undergraduate GPA on a 4.000-point scale
- Official transcript(s)
- Goal statement
- Questions in Anticipation of Licensure form
- Supplemental Interview form
- Two letters of recommendation
- English language proficiency - all international students must provide proof of English language proficiency (unless they meet specific exceptions) by earning one of the following:
- Minimum 550 TOEFL PBT score (paper-based version)
- Minimum 79 TOEFL IBT score (Internet-based version)
- Minimum 77 MELAB score
- Minimum 6.5 IELTS score
- Minimum 58 PTE score
- Minimum 110 Duolingo English test score
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Effectively work with clients from a multicultural and pluralistic society.
- Demonstrate knowledge in assessment, groupwork, career development, helping relationships human growth and development, social and cultural diversity, research and program evaluation and professional orientation and ethical practice.
- Meet the academic components required to become a certified rehabilitation counselor in Ohio.
- Understand legal and ethical standards and practice in a legal and ethical manner.
- Understand and demonstrate multicultural responsiveness.
- Demonstrate a strong counselor identity.
- Demonstrate strong clinical skills in case conceptualization, diagnosis, treatment planning and specifically using assessments related to rehabilitation counseling.
- Understand and demonstrate sound counseling skills and techniques within a theoretical framework in both individual and group counseling.
- Understand the importance of research in advancing the counseling profession, including how to critique research to inform counseling practice.
- Effectively work with crisis, trauma, suicide and at-risk clients.
|Major Requirements (min B-/S grade in all courses)|
|CES 67492||PRACTICUM I: CLINICAL MENTAL HEALTH COUNSELING||3|
|CES 67530||COUNSELING THEORIES||3|
|CES 67531||COUNSELING SKILLS AND TECHNIQUES||3|
|CES 67580||MULTICULTURAL COUNSELING||3|
|CES 67628||DIAGNOSIS IN COUNSELING||3|
|CES 67712||ORIENTATION AND ETHICS: CLINICAL REHABILITATION COUNSELING||3|
|CES 67723||MEDICAL INFORMATION FOR CLINICAL REHABILITATION COUNSELORS||3|
|CES 67725||PSYCHOSOCIAL IMPACT OF DISABILITY||3|
|CES 67732||OCCUPATIONAL ASPECTS OF DISABILITY||3|
|CES 67776||RESEARCH IN CLINICAL REHABILITATION COUNSELING||3|
|CES 67820||GROUP WORK: THEORY AND TECHNIQUES||3|
|CES 68126||INTRODUCTION TO ASSESSMENT IN COUNSELING||3|
|CES 68128||CLINICAL ASSESSMENT IN COUNSELING||3|
|CES 68130||PSYCHOPATHOLOGY FOR COUNSELORS||3|
|CES 68167||CASE CONCEPTUALIZATION AND TREATMENT PLANNING||3|
|CES 68182||CAREER COUNSELING||3|
|CES 69192||PRACTICUM: CLINICAL REHABILITATION COUNSELING||3|
|CES 69792||INTERNSHIP IN CLINICAL REHABILITATION COUNSELING||6|
|EPSY 65523||LIFE SPAN DEVELOPMENT||3|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||60|