College of Arts and Sciences
Department of Modern and Classical Language Studieswww.kent.edu/mcls
About This Program
The Arabic Translation graduate minor helps to prepare students for careers in translation, translation management, international business and government.
For more information about graduate admissions, visit the graduate admission website. For more information on international admissions, visit the international admission website.
- Graduate standing at Kent State University
- Minimum 3.000 GPA on a 4.000-point scale
- A CD or MP3/wav file with a five-minute oral sample in the applicant's first and second languages (conversational, not read from a script)
- Writing sample(s) in applicant's second language, which should be accompanied by a signed declaration that the sample is original work and that the applicant received no help in its preparation
- English language proficiency - all international students must provide proof of English language proficiency (unless they meet specific exceptions) by earning one of the following:
- Minimum 550 TOEFL PBT score (paper-based version)
- Minimum 79 TOEFL IBT score (Internet-based version)
- Minimum 77 MELAB score
- Minimum 6.5 IELTS score
- Minimum 58 PTE score
- Minimum 110 Duolingo English test score
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Translate authentic, industry-relevant content, both general and domain-specific, using appropriate tools and approaches.
- Engage in effective research and information retrieval for a variety of language industry-relevant tasks.
- Demonstrate an understanding of professional and ethical considerations in various project scenarios.
- Successfully communicate and mediate communication across languages and cultures in multilingual, multicultural contexts.
- Apply theory to inform and justify their decision-making.
- Critically reflect on their work and that of others.