- Fully online
- In person
- Kent Campus
The Health and Technologies and Informatics minor provides students with knowledge and skills in public health and information technology. Students who are interested in public health face new challenges and opportunities with technology. Conversely, students in other fields related to technology are often presented with challenges and opportunities related to public health. Drawing on an interdisciplinary focus of public health, education, communication, geography, information, and educational technology, students increase their skill set for practice in an information-intensive health care environment.
Students in this minor will gain knowledge on how information technology is used to organize and analyze health records, health information databases and trends in technology to improve healthcare outcomes. For students with natural science, communication, business, computer, or information technology degrees, the minor courses will expose them to the uniqueness and complexity of work processes in public health and healthcare.
Admission to a minor is open to students declared in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students declared only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Explain basic tenants of public health
- Identify how health informatics improves health care effectiveness and efficiency
- Describe the how technology informs lifespan learning
- Explain evaluation methods, e-Health, decision support, and database systems as important information technologies for supporting healthcare decision-making
- Identify innovative technologies that have the potential to inform and transform public health
|ETEC 47427||TECHNOLOGY AND LEARNING||3|
|PH 10001||INTRODUCTION TO PUBLIC HEALTH||3|
|PH 20010||INTRODUCTION TO PUBLIC HEALTH INFORMATICS||3|
|Minor Electives, choose from the following:||6|
|COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY AND HUMAN INTERACTION|
|TRENDS IN EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY|
|GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SCIENCE AND HEALTH|
|HEALTH INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SUPPORT|
|MOBILE APPLICATIONS FOR INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY|
|HEALTHCARE INFORMATION SYSTEMS|
|SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGIES|
|INTRODUCTION TO USER EXPERIENCE DESIGN|
|INTRODUCTION TO WEB DESIGN|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||15|
|Minimum Certificate GPA||Minimum Overall GPA|
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be upper-division coursework (30000 and 40000 level).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be outside of the course requirements for any major or other minor the student is pursuing.
- Minimum 50 percent of the total credit hours for the minor must be taken at Kent State (in residence).