- In person
- Kent Campus
The Italian minor is designed for students who wish to speak, read and write in Italian. Required coursework provides a strong grammar foundation and guides students through further development of listening, reading, writing and conversational skills. Students are also introduced to Italian civilization and culture through history, literature and conversation classes conducted in Italian and using Italian-language texts. Students have the opportunity for additional exploration of Italian cultural topics through elective offerings in both Italian and English.
Students may complete some of the coursework for the minor through Kent State's Florence program in Florence, Italy.
Admission to a minor is open to students declared in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students declared only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Speak in Italian on a variety of topics using appropriate styles of speech
- Write in Italian on Italian cultural topics (such as literature, history, politics, society and the arts) and express themselves creatively in Italian
- Read and analyze authentic Italian texts such as literary works, nonfiction, history texts, newspaper articles and web content
- Recognize and interpret spoken Italian
- Exhibit a fundamental understanding of aspects of modern Italian society (such as the economy, religion, media, political system, social issues) and Italy's cultural heritage (such as the history of the Italian peninsula and the Italian literary canon)
|Prerequisite Requirements 1|
|ELEMENTARY ITALIAN I|
|ELEMENTARY ITALIAN II|
|INTERMEDIATE ITALIAN I|
|ITAL 25202||INTERMEDIATE ITALIAN II||3|
|ITAL 35211||COMPOSITION AND CONVERSATION: CONTEMPORARY ITALIAN SOCIETY||3|
|ITAL 35213||COMPOSITION AND CONVERSATION: MEDIA AND INFORMATION IN ITALY||3|
|Italian Electives, choose from the following:||6|
|EARLY ITALIAN LITERATURE|
|RECENT ITALIAN LITERATURE (ELR)|
|Minor Elective, choose from the following:||3|
|ITALIAN RENAISSANCE ART|
|THE HIGH RENAISSANCE AND MANNERISM IN ITALY|
|VENETIAN RENAISSANCE ART|
|BAROQUE ART OF THE 17TH CENTURY|
or HIST 41006
|ROMAN ARCHAEOLOGY AND ART|
|INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE: ITALIAN FASHION AND CULTURE (ELR)|
Italian (ITAL) Upper-Division Elective (30000 or 40000 level)
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||18|
Prerequisites may be satisfied with demonstrated language proficiency.
|Minimum Minor GPA||Minimum Overall GPA|
- Students must complete at least two upper-division (30000 or 40000 level) courses in the minor at Kent State on a graded basis (A-F).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be upper-division coursework (30000 and 40000 level).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be outside of the course requirements for any major or other minor the student is pursuing.
- Minimum 50 percent of the total credit hours for the minor must be taken at Kent State (in residence).