- Program Coordinator: Daniel Holm | firstname.lastname@example.org | 330-672-2680
- Speak with an Advisor
- In person
- Kent Campus
- Stark Campus
The Earth Science minor prepares students to integrate concepts and knowledge of Earth's surface, its interior and its interactions with life and water. Scientific knowledge about Earth processes and earth-life-water interactions is critical for making informed decisions in science education, public policy, public health, conservation, resource management and environmental consulting. Students in the minor gain essential knowledge of earth systems science, including the interactions of earth's atmosphere, biosphere, hydrosphere and lithosphere over both shorter (millennium) and longer (mega-annum) time periods.
Admission to a minor is open to students declared in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students declared only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
To declare the Earth Science minor, students must have a minimum 2.000 overall Kent State University GPA. No Kent State University GPA is required if the student is a first-semester freshman or transfer student admitted in good standing.
|ESCI 11040||HOW THE EARTH WORKS (KBS)||3|
|ESCI 33025||WATER AND THE ENVIRONMENT||3|
|GEOG 41066||GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE||3|
|Minor Electives, choose from the following: 1||6-7|
|GEOLOGIC HAZARDS AND DISASTERS|
|FUNDAMENTALS OF METEOROLOGY|
|CONSERVATION OF NATURAL RESOURCES|
|GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SCIENCE|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||15|
Other relevant courses may be substituted in consultation with an adviser.
|Minimum Minor GPA||Minimum Overall GPA|
- Students must complete at least two upper-division (30000 or 40000 level) courses in the minor at Kent State on a graded basis (A-F).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be upper-division coursework (30000 and 40000 level).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be outside of the course requirements for any major or other minor the student is pursuing.
- Minimum 50 percent of the total credit hours for the minor must be taken at Kent State (in residence).