College of Education Health and Human Services
School of Foundations, Leadership and Administrationwww.kent.edu/ehhs/fla
About This Program
Prepare for success in diverse administrative roles with our M.Ed. degree in Higher Education Administration and Student Affairs, as you gain a holistic understanding of the 'big picture' in higher education and develop expertise in areas such as campus life, career services, academic advising, international student services and more. Read more...
Examples of Possible Careers and Salaries*
Education administrators, all other
- 8.1% much faster than the average
- 52,100 number of jobs
- $87,580 potential earnings
Education administrators, postsecondary
- 3.7% about as fast as the average
- 190,500 number of jobs
- $97,500 potential earnings
* Source of occupation titles and labor data comes from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics' Occupational Outlook Handbook. Data comprises projected percent change in employment over the next 10 years; nation-wide employment numbers; and the yearly median wage at which half of the workers in the occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less.
For more information about graduate admissions, visit the graduate admission website. For more information on international admissions, visit the international admission website.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 3.000 undergraduate GPA on a 4.000-point scale
- Official transcript(s)
- Goal statement
- GRE scores if undergraduate overall GPA is below 3.000 (effective for fall 2024 admission, GRE scores will no longer be required)
- Résumé or vita
- Two letters of recommendation
- English language proficiency - all international students must provide proof of English language proficiency (unless they meet specific exceptions) by earning one of the following:
- Minimum 550 TOEFL PBT score
- Minimum 79 TOEFL IBT score
- Minimum 77 MELAB score
- Minimum 6.5 IELTS score
- Minimum 58 PTE score
- Minimum 110 Duolingo English score
- Fall Semester
- Funding deadline: December 1
Applications must be submitted by this deadline to be considered for an assistantship or any other funded position.
- Priority deadline: January 5
Applications submitted by this deadline will receive the strongest consideration for admission.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Demonstrate a broad understanding of psychosocial and cognitive-structural theories of student and adult development that guide the profession and be able to the impact the college environment has on student learning and development.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of and conversant knowledge of the legal issues facing higher education today, including being familiar with legislation that impacts decision making within higher education and understanding the rights and responsibilities of students, staff, faculty and institutions.
- Demonstrate practical experience in two or more functional areas within higher education.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the administrative and financial functions performed on a college or university campus.
- Demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to the diverse nature of higher education in the United States, and will be able to articulate the challenges and opportunities associated with the provision of a diverse, multicultural educational setting.
The Master of Education degree in Higher Education Administration and Student Affairs prepares graduates to assume a wide variety of administrative positions within colleges and universities throughout the world, ranging from entry-level to director-level. The curriculum is grounded in theory and focused on practice to reinforce entry-level skills, support diverse student populations in their development and cultivate skills and competencies necessary to lead and administer programs. Focusing on the “big picture,” students gain an understanding of the complex environment in which they will be working.
Graduates are prepared to work as staff and administrators in campus life, career services, judicial affairs, resident services, alumni, admissions, academic success, academic advising, international student services, institutional advancement, upward bound, student disability services, student multicultural center and undergraduate and graduate studies.
Dual Degree with M.B.A. in Business Administration
Students have the opportunity to complete a dual degree program with the M.Ed. degree in Higher Education Administration and Student Affairs and the M.B.A. degree in Business Administration. A separate application must be submitted for each program. Students can view admission requirements for each program on their respective catalog page.
|Code ||Title ||Credit Hours |
|ACCT 63037||FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING FOR DECISION MAKING ||2|
|ACCT 63038||MANAGERIAL ACCOUNTING FOR DECISION MAKING ||2|
|BA 64005||ANALYTICS FOR DECISION MAKING ||2|
|BA 64041||OPERATIONS, SERVICE AND SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT ||2|
|CIS 64042||GLOBALIZATION AND TECHNOLOGY STRATEGY ||2|
|ECON 62021||MACROECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT OF BUSINESS ||2|
|ECON 62022||MANAGERIAL ECONOMICS ||2|
|FIN 66050||LAW AND ETHICS ||2|
|FIN 66060||MANAGERIAL FINANCE ||2|
|HIED 66492||INTERNSHIP IN HIGHER EDUCATION ADMINISTRATION ||6|
|HIED 66652||LAW AND HIGHER EDUCATION ||3|
|HIED 66653||COLLEGE STUDENT DEVELOPMENT: THEORY AND PRACTICE ||3|
|HIED 66657||LEADERSHIP IN EDUCATION ORGANIZATIONS ||3|
|HIED 66662||POLITICS AND POWER IN ORGANIZATIONS ||3|
|HIED 66667||BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION IN HIGHER EDUCATION ||3|
|HIED 66671||THE ADMINISTRATION OF MULTICULTURALISM AND DIVERSITY IN HIGHER EDUCATION ||3|
|HIED 66676||INTERCULTURAL COMMUNICATION FOR INTERNATIONAL EDUCATORS ||3|
|HIED 66733||INTERPERSONAL AND GROUP DYNAMICS IN EDUCATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS ||3|
|HIED 66749||ASSESSMENT AND ACCREDITATION IN HIGHER EDUCATION ||3|
|HRM 64271||HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT ||2|
|MGMT 68051||BUSINESS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT I 1||1|
|MKTG 65051||MARKETING MANAGEMENT ||2|
|MGMT 64185||BUSINESS STRATEGY ||3|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||65|