- Program Coordinator: Xiaoyu Zheng | firstname.lastname@example.org | 330-672-9089
- Speak with an Advisor
- In person
- Kent Campus
- Stark Campus
The Applied Mathematics minor offers courses in several areas of mathematics that are applicable to sciences and can be combined with science majors.
Admission to a minor is open to students declared in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students declared only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
|ALGEBRA FOR CALCULUS BOOST (KMCR)|
or MATH 10775
|ALGEBRA FOR CALCULUS PLUS (KMCR)|
or MATH 11010
|ALGEBRA FOR CALCULUS (KMCR)|
Prerequisite Electives, choose from the following:
|PROGRAMMING FOR PROBLEM SOLVING IN SCIENCES|
|COMPUTER SCIENCE I: PROGRAMMING AND PROBLEM SOLVING|
|COMPUTER SCIENCE IA: PROCEDURAL PROGRAMMING |
and COMPUTER SCIENCE IB: OBJECT ORIENTED PROGRAMMING 1
|MATH 12002||ANALYTIC GEOMETRY AND CALCULUS I (KMCR) (min C grade)||5|
|MATH 12003||ANALYTIC GEOMETRY AND CALCULUS II (min C grade)||5|
|Choose from the following:||8-10|
|LINEAR ALGEBRA (min C grade)|
|ANALYTIC GEOMETRY AND CALCULUS III (min C grade)|
|ORDINARY DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS|
|MATHEMATICAL METHODS IN THE PHYSICAL SCIENCES I (min C grade)|
|MATHEMATICAL METHODS IN THE PHYSICAL SCIENCES II|
|Minor Electives, choose from the following: 2||6|
|DISCRETE STRUCTURES FOR COMPUTER SCIENCE 3|
or MATH 31011
|PROOFS IN DISCRETE MATHEMATICS|
|PROBABILITY THEORY AND APPLICATIONS|
|THEORY OF STATISTICS (WIC)|
|TOPICS IN PROBABILITY THEORY AND STOCHASTIC PROCESSES|
|THEORY OF MATRICES|
|MATHEMATICAL MODELS AND DYNAMICAL SYSTEMS|
|MODELING PROJECTS (ELR) (WIC)|
|PARTIAL DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS|
|NUMERICAL COMPUTING I|
|NUMERICAL COMPUTING II|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||24|
A minimum C grade must be earned in CS 13011 and CS 13012.
Students should select electives in consultation with the student's minor advisor.
|Minimum Minor GPA||Minimum Overall GPA|
- Students must complete at least two upper-division (30000 or 40000 level) courses in the minor at Kent State on a graded basis (A-F).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be upper-division coursework (30000 and 40000 level).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be outside of the course requirements for any major or other minor the student is pursuing.
- Minimum 50 percent of the total credit hours for the minor must be taken at Kent State (in residence).