- In person
- Kent Campus
The French minor gives students a sufficient command of the language, both written and spoken. Students gain knowledge of French literature and culture, are able to travel in France as more than just an interested tourist, and have a foundation from which to pursue their interest in French independently for personal enrichment and professional advancement.
Admission to a minor is open to students declared in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students declared only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Speak in French on topics ranging from personal to cultural and social issues.
- Write in French on a variety of situations and for multiple purposes.
- Read and comprehend various text types such as newspaper articles, short stories and web content with the aid of dictionaries and other resources.
- Exhibit a fundamental understanding of francophone culture.
|Prerequisite Requirements 1|
|ELEMENTARY FRENCH I|
|ELEMENTARY FRENCH II|
|INTERMEDIATE FRENCH I|
|INTERMEDIATE FRENCH II|
|FR 33211||FRENCH CONVERSATION||3|
|FR 33212||FRENCH COMPOSITION||3|
|FR 33215||FRENCH PHONETICS AND DICTION||3|
|FR 33335||INTRODUCTION TO FRENCH THEATRE (ELR) (WIC)||3|
|or FR 33336||INTRODUCTION TO FRENCH POETRY (ELR) (WIC)|
|or FR 33337||INTRODUCTION TO FRENCH LITERARY PROSE (ELR) (WIC)|
|FR 33421||FRENCH CIVILIZATION||3|
|French (FR) Upper-Division Elective (40000 level)||3|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||18|
Prerequisites may be satisfied with demonstrated language proficiency.
|Minimum Minor GPA||Minimum Overall GPA|
- Students must complete at least two upper-division (30000 or 40000 level) courses in the minor at Kent State on a graded basis (A-F).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be upper-division coursework (30000 and 40000 level).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be outside of the course requirements for any major or other minor the student is pursuing.
- Minimum 50 percent of the total credit hours for the minor must be taken at Kent State (in residence).