About This Program
With the increasing need for healthcare compliance professionals in today's regulatory environment, the Certified in Healthcare Compliance designation can set you apart from your peers and advance your career. With the Healthcare Compliance graduate certificate, you'll gain the knowledge and skills necessary to pass the HCCA exam and become highly employable in the field. Read more...
Examples of Possible Careers
- Compliance Healthcare Manager
- Senior Investigator of Healthcare Fraud
- Healthcare Compliance Officer
- Compliance Analyst
- Compliance Healthcare Consultant
Health Care Compliance Association, Compliance Certification Board
For more information about graduate admissions, visit the graduate admission website. For more information on international admissions, visit the international admission website.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university1
- Minimum 3.000 undergraduate GPA on a 4.000-point scale
- Official transcript(s)
- English language proficiency - all international students must provide proof of English language proficiency (unless they meet specific exceptions) by earning one of the following:
- Minimum 525 TOEFL PBT score
- Minimum 71 TOEFL IBT score
- Minimum 74 MELAB score
- Minimum 6.0 IELTS score
- Minimum 50 PTE score
- Minimum 100 Duolingo English score
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Explain the components of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 1996.
- Perform an audit on a healthcare organization to determine uses of protected health information and highlight areas of vulnerability.
- Determine required and permitted disclosures of protected health information.
- Describe the legal and historical foundations of compliance programs.
- Identify key areas of compliance oversight within a healthcare operation.
- Develop and implement an effective compliance program.
- Implement operational aspects of a compliance program.
- Measure, document and report the effectiveness of a compliance program.
- Train staff on fraud, waste and abuse topics.
- Conduct investigations.
- Audit and monitor healthcare functions.
- Respond to fraud, waste and abuse.
The Healthcare Compliance graduate certificate provides the training necessary to enter this growing field where compliance professionals design and implement comprehensive programs to identify potential risk areas, develop policies, train staff, evaluate effectiveness and conduct investigations.
Healthcare spending accounts for approximately 19 percent of the entire U.S. economy. Unfortunately, some of that money is misspent in the form of fraud, waste and abuse. Federal and state governments continue to increase their scrutiny of healthcare organizations through a maze of complex law and regulations touching every part of the organization. The field of healthcare compliance is emerging as a response to these challenges.
Professional Licensure Disclosure
This program is designed to prepare students to sit for applicable licensure or certification in Ohio. If you plan to pursue licensure or certification in a state other than Ohio, please review state educational requirements for licensure or certification and contact information for state licensing boards at Kent State's website for professional licensure disclosure.