School of Teaching, Learning and Curriculum Studies
- In person
- Kent Campus
The Athletic Coaching minor provides students with the knowledge and skills to coach in youth sport settings, K-12 schools and colleges. The "National Standards for Sport Coaches," published by the Society of Health and Physical Educators (SHAPE America), serves as the guiding basis for the minor.
An internship completes the minor as a capstone experience.
Admission to a minor is open to students declared in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students declared only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
To declare this minor, students must have attempted a minimum 12 credit hours at Kent State and earned a minimum 2.000 overall Kent State GPA. Students who have not attempted 12 credit hours at Kent State will be evaluated for admission based on their high school GPA for new students or transfer GPA for transfer students. Transfer students who have not attempted 12 credit hours of college-level coursework at Kent State and/or other institutions will be evaluated based on both their high school GPA and college GPA.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Understand, at the basic level, athletic coaching effectiveness
- Understand, at the basic level, motor development across the lifespan
- Understand, at the basic level, mental preparation and performance in sport
- Understand, at the basic level, motor skill analysis
- Understand, at the basic level, fitness education
- Understand, at the basic level, practical athletic coaching experiences in diverse fields
|PESP 25033||LIFESPAN MOTOR DEVELOPMENT||3|
|PESP 35020||FITNESS EDUCATION||3|
|PESP 35084||MOTOR SKILL ANALYSIS||3|
|PESP 45015||PSYCHOLOGY OF COACHING||3|
|PESP 45020||CONTEMPORARY ATHLETIC COACHING||3|
|PESP 45692||INTERNSHIP IN ATHLETIC COACHING (ELR)||3|
|SPAD 45020||ORGANIZATION, ADMINISTRATION AND LEADERSHIP IN SPORT||3|
|Minor Elective, choose from the following:||2|
|COACHING BASEBALL AND SOFTBALL|
|COACHING TRACK AND FIELD|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||23|
|Minimum Minor GPA||Minimum Overall GPA|
- Certification in American Red Cross First Aid and CPR.
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be upper-division coursework (30000 and 40000 level).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be outside of the course requirements for any major or other minor the student is pursuing.
- Minimum 50 percent of the total credit hours for the minor must be taken at Kent State (in residence).