All undergraduate students are required to satisfactorily complete UC 10001 to earn an associate or bachelor's degree at Kent State. New student orientation courses from another college or university may not be substituted for Kent State's course.

The only exceptions to the requirement are the following:

  1. Incoming students who are designated by Kent State admissions as adult students (21 years or older). These students are encouraged to contact the Center for Adults and Veteran Services or a Regional Campus advising office for information regarding the availability of special orientation programs for adult students.
  2. Students who transfer 30 or more credit hours from another higher education institution, excluding post-secondary and dual-enrollment credit (College Credit Plus).

Full-time students are expected to complete UC 10001 during their first semester of enrollment. Part-time students are expected to complete the course before they attain sophomore standing (30 credit hours).