Kent State University awards academic credit for military coursework according to recommendations listed on the Joint Services Transcript (JST). All eligible credits must be recognized by the American Council on Education (ACE). Kent State awards Military Transfer Assurance Guide (MTAG) coursework for articulated credit as established by the Ohio Department of Higher Education. Service members can visit Kent State’s Credit Transfer Office website for information regarding requesting and submitting military transcripts.

Service Examinations: Credit is awarded for some experiences in basic training that are equivalent to specific beginning Physical Activity, Wellness and Sport (PWS) courses at Kent State University. Credit is awarded on the basis of recommendations from the School of Teaching, Learning and Curriculum Studies in the College of Education, Health and Human Services.

In order for credit to be granted in any of the above areas, a transcript or certificate of completion or a veterans DD 214 form is required. In addition, Kent State reserves the right to set the percentile score that is necessary for satisfactory performance in a course and for the granting of credit. Credit will not be given for duplicate work taken through any of these agencies.

Military Transfer Credit Appeals Process

Students must submit, in writing, a letter of appeal regarding their military transfer credit to the Credit Transfer Office c/o Kent State University. Upon recommendation by the Transfer Review Committee, students will be notified of the outcome, in writing. Information regarding the standards for satisfactory performance or to submit an appeal may be found on the Credit Transfer Office website.