Students may transfer academic credit to Kent State University as new students, as active students or as returning students.

Transfer credit will be accepted for college-level courses (e.g., not remedial/developmental, eligible to count toward a degree) from regional accredited or international equivalent institutions as determined by Kent State's Credit Transfer Office per the following conditions:

College or University in Ohio

  • The student earned a minimum D (1.000 or Pass or Satisfactory) grade in fall 2005 or later.
  • The student earned a minimum C (2.000) grade prior to fall 2005.
  • The student earned a minimum D (1.000 or Pass or Satisfactory) grade in fall 1990 or later that was applied toward an earned Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree with a minimum overall 2.000 GPA.

College or University Outside Ohio

  • The student earned a minimum D (1.000 or Pass or Satisfactory) grade in fall 2010 or later.
  • The student earned a minimum C (2.000) grade prior to fall 2010.

Effective fall 2010, upper-division and lower-division credit hours are awarded for transfer based upon the level of course to which they are equated at Kent State.

Accepted transfer credits are posted on the Kent State University transcript in semester hours and count toward class standing and total credit hours earned for graduation at Kent State. Transfer credits and grades will not count toward the students’ Kent State Grade Point Average (GPA), residence requirement and graduation honors; nor will a transfer grade replace a grade earned in an equivalent course at Kent State. Transfer grades, however, may be considered for prerequisites to a specific course or admission to and/or progression for a specific program. Kent State prerequisite requirements will be taken into consideration before students enroll in coursework at another institution.

The Kent State college that houses the student’s major determines the applicability of these courses toward the desired degree or certificate. Some programs may require students to earn higher grades in specific courses or requirements. Students will be held to the required grade and GPA standards for admission to and graduation from these programs.

Students who have attended schools that are not regionally accredited or that are not candidates for such accreditation are not granted credit by the Credit Transfer Office for work completed there. The students’ Kent State college, however, may grant such credit at its discretion. Although the evaluation of a student’s performance at a non-accredited institution is considered in the admissions decision, any work completed at an accredited institution takes precedence. See the Alternative Credit policy in the University Catalog for more information on limits of credit hours.

Transfer Credit Appeals Process: Students must submit, in writing, a letter of appeal regarding their transfer credit to the Kent State University Credit Transfer Office. Upon recommendation by the Transfer Review Committee, students will be notified of the outcome in writing.

New Students: An official evaluation of transfer credit is completed for undergraduate students who have been admitted to the university and have submitted official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions previously attended.

Active Students: An "active" student is one who is enrolled at Kent State University for a minimum 1 credit for one semester of longer without more than a one-year interruption. Active undergraduate students who wish to take college-level coursework at another institution (as described in the policies above) while continuing their studies at Kent State need to complete the steps listed below before enrolling at the other institution. Completing these steps will ensure students enroll in coursework that will transfer back to Kent State. Not completing these steps will not guarantee the coursework will transfer as expected. Thus, students who do not complete the following steps when transferring coursework do so at their own risk.

  1. Meet with their academic or faculty advisor to review program requirements, course prerequisites, remaining coursework, possible impact if repeating courses and transfer course equivalencies.
  2. Complete the Transfer Course Planning form.
    1. The form is valid for one term only (quarter, semester, etc.), or for one academic year for year-long study abroad/away opportunities.
    2. The form is subject to all restrictions of the dean of the student's college or regional campus offering a College of Applied and Technical Studies program.
  3. Submit an Ad Hoc Consortium Agreement to the Office of Student Financial Aid if applying for financial aid during the term at the institution or to continue eligibility.

After completing the transfer coursework, students are responsible for submitting an official transcript from the other institution to the admissions office of the Kent State campus enrolled. Students are discouraged from taking transfer coursework during their last semester because of the time necessary to receive and process transcripts, which may delay the student's graduation.

Returning Students: All transfer policies described above apply to Kent State students who interrupted their studies at the university for one or more years, completed coursework at another college or university and are now returning to Kent State.

Kent State students who have not attended for one year, were not academically dismissed and completed coursework at another college or university during their absence should refer to Admission of Former Undergraduate Student page. Kent State students who were academically dismissed and completed coursework at another college of university during their absence should refer to the Dismissal, Appeal and Reinstatement policy in the University Catalog.